Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Podunk Below the Masthead (Wednesday, February 10, 2010)

The City makes plans to work on the cemetery thanks to the estate of a long time resident, Port Edward seeks to save its school and the School District takes its consultation tour to Westview school, some of the items of note for Wednesday.

Daily News, front page, headline story
LOCAL MAN LEAVES HIS ESTATE TO THE CARE OF THE CEMETERY-- The apparent last wishes of Filippo Falcone have finally be met, as the long running case of his estate settlement finally came to a conclusion turning over his accumulated finanacial worth to the City of Prince Rupert, to be used for improvements to the city's publicly run cemetery. Mr. Falcone, a former Fishery Co-op worker who passed away in 2001 had stipulated in his will that his estate be provided to the City, a choice that his estranged out of town family challenged as the will went through probate. With the decision now handed down in the City's favour, a list of modifications and improvements to the cemetery can now move forward.

Port Edwards next move to try and save its elementary school will take place on Thursday with the community urged to come out and provide its vocal support for the school, the rally is planned for 4:30 on Thursday, two hours before School District 52 will hold its consultation session to discuss its school closure options for 2011. Residents are hopeful that a strong show of support will help their cause to keep the community's only school open.

The Daily provides a full review of City council's deliberations of Monday on the issue of aid in the form of a rent reduction on the Civic Centre, for the All Native Basketball Tournament. A lively exchange took place in council chambers as a very apparent split on the issue offered up different interpretations as to what the City should or should not provide to the tournament. In the end, council voted to provide a conditional grant to the tournament organizers, the financial relief will kick in should the tournament not earn a profit over the ten days of competition set to begin on Friday.

The Sports section featured more stories and reviews of the recent Northern BC Winter Games.

(Archive for Daily News Articles for February 10, 2010)

The Northern View
Prince Rupert School District begins school closure consultations, outlines some options -- School District 52 took its consultation process on the road on Wednesday, outlining the potential changes ahead to a large gathering of Westview parents, eager to show their resolve that their school not be on the closure list at the end of the consultation period (see article here)

CFTK TV 7 News
Full day kindergarten for school district 52 -- This fall will see the implementation of full day kindergarten in selected schools of School District 52 (see article here)

CFTK TV 7 News
Port Edward Elementary Rally-- An update on the planned rally of support for the Port Edward Elementary school, set for Thursday afternoon at 4:30, later that evening the School District will continue with its consultation sessions, providing its views on the future of the schools in the district (see article here)

Queen Charlotte Islands Observer
Canada Post petition to be submitted to government next month-- Haida Gwaii's less than reliable mail service is the subject a petition by Islanders who are taking their concerns and complaints over Canada Post's service to Ottawa (see article here)

CBC British Columbia, Daybreak North
Wednesday's offerings from the CBC were not made available on their website by late that evening.

Daily News, front page, headline story
Local Man leaves his Estate to the care of the Cemetery
By Monica Lamb-Yorski
The Daily News
Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Almost nine years after his death, Filippo Falcone’s estate has come
to rest.

Falcone had been dead for nine months before would-be-thieves discovered his body when they broke into his home at 1058 Third Avenue West on New Year’s Eve. 2002.

In the will he had drawn up on May 10, 2000, Falcone left his entire estate – $200,000 and his bungalow - to the City, recommending it go to the upkeep of the cemetery.

Over the last few months, Tanya Ostrom of the City has been in contact with the local cemetery committee to compile of list of recommendations for use of the funds.

That list was presented to City Council on Monday evening in a report from Chief Financial Officer, Dan Rodin.

The priorities are to furnish Falcone’s grave site with an aluminum cover and headstone, extend the road around some of the blocks in the cemetery, and name the loop road around the area, Falcone Way or Road.
“Depending on the funds remaining, work on improving the condition of some older blocks, lifting stones, laying highway cloth, crush, etc. will also be carried out,” Rodin added.

At City Council, Monday evening, a motion was passed to accept the recommendations and council agreed to send Falcone’s family a letter letting them know that his wishes to have his estate go toward the cemetery’s upkeep are being honoured.

According to Rodin, the will has been in probate for a long time.

“Somebody contested the will for awhile, but they realized Mr. Falcone was of sound mind and body when he’d made the will and stopped,” Rodin said. “The City was very pleased with his gesture.”

Back in 2002, people in the community were surprised to learn that Falcone had been deceased for so long without anyone noticing his absence, and even more floored when they learned he had left his estate to the City.

He was a recluse, had been suffering from cancer, and rarely ventured out of his home.

An 80-year-old Italian immigrant, who arrived in Prince Rupert in the 1950s, Falcone worked as a longshoreman, grader and fish worker at the Prince Rupert Fishermen’s Co-op Association.

At the time of the discovery, then RCMP Staff Sergeant Lance Stewart told the Daily News foul play was not suspected and that the would-be thieves had reported to the police within minutes of finding Falcone’s body.

Further investigation revealed that the phone had been cut off in the spring, mail service had stopped, but hydro had continued, possibly because automatic payments had been arranged.

His niece, Grace Graham of Ancaster, Ontario learned of her uncle’s death from the RCMP, and said she had already become alarmed earlier when the Christmas card she had sent him was returned.

Graham had not seen her uncle since the 1960s, but kept in communication with a letter or card once a year that was never answered. She, her brother and sister, were his closest relatives.

One of Falcone’s brothers visited him in 1983 and it is believed that was the last visit from family.
A funeral mass was held for Falcone on January 8, 2002 at Annunciation Church and his body was laid to rest at Fairview Cemetery.

The family members in attendance were Graham and her husband Roy, and over 100 locals attended the service out of respect, reported the Daily News in January 2002.

No comments: