Monday, January 12, 2004

Wish I had thought of this!

News Item: Scratch - A Winning Circle
A performance-based exhibition by Manitoba artist Andy Gamache exploring the cyclical relationship between gaming and the arts. 3,000 lottery tickets to be scratched in the hopes of winning big!



I must admit this strikes me as a brilliant touch of performance art. Over the many years I have purchased or received hundreds if not thousands of those tantalizing little scratch tickets, only to have my dreams of a trip to Aruba dashed with the flick of a wrist.

To think that I missed the boat and could have had myself a touring show! Woe is me. Last I heard the performer had only made 1400 bucks from his scratches. But just think about it, no doubt a government grant for the arts was used to purchase the tickets and thus we have government monies being turned back into government coffers, it's truly the perfect economic system.. And hey, if Mr. Gamache should win it big, the whole issue of funding for the arts (and other Gov't programs) might take a whole new direction. Wonder if the Canada Pension Plan folks are paying attention to the concept currently on display at the Plug In Institute of Contemporary Art in Winnipeg!

http://www.plugin.org/

No comments: