Saturday, November 01, 2008

We'd like to get to know you (Northern View candidate profiles 2)


The Northern View continued with its candidate profiles for the upcoming municipal election, picking up where they left off as last weeks edition went to press.

This time around we are introduced to Erika Rolston, John Purdy, Gabe McLean and Patrick (Paddy) Greene.

It brings to a total of ten the number of profiles provided by the weekly thus far, having profiled, Anna Ashley, Kathy Bedard, Tony Briglio, Mario Castelli, Gina Garon and Sheila Gordon-Payne.
.
Leaving to come, only thumbnail sketches of the biographies of Nelson Kinney, Joy Thorkelson, George Sampson, Joe Vicount and Jason Shellenberg.


Erika Rolston
Published: October 28, 2008 11:00 PM
Updated: October 29, 2008 12:07 PM

Thank you for the chance to apply for the position of City Councilor. I look forward to the voters of Prince Rupert getting to know me better.

I have lived on coastal B.C. islands all of my 37 years and moving to the North Coast, in 2000, is the most rewarding move I have ever made. This is where my daughter and I met my husband, Dave. This is also where I first experienced a true sense of
community.

I moved to Rupert with the beginnings of post-secondary education and a work history of labouring in the fishing industry. I am proud of my experience working hand-to-mouth in resource-based communities.

From 2000-2006 I studied at NWCC, instructed at the Alternate School, worked several contracts on Knowledge, Literacy and History, volunteered and contracted to local non-profits, and worked in community outreach. If you or your child enjoyed a touch-tank during that time, chances are that we have already met.

As a volunteer, my proposals have supported non-profit development and created employment. My creative approach to problem solving has made me an asset to several non-profits including: North Coast Community Assets, Volunteer Connections, Kaien Anti-Poverty and Northwest Science and Innovation.

My current jobs with our MP and MLA provide me with a deep working knowledge of government programs – and insights into the most helpful way to affect change.

This knowledge and experience is a particular asset on a team making decisions based on tough choices.

Discovering long-term solutions to Rupert’s failing social and physical infrastructure and economic development challenges needs determination and patience. In the meantime, creative opportunities in the medium- to short-term can ensure Rupert remains a livable community.

My recent training in Community Economic Development and my understanding of Social Enterprise ensures that my perspective is focused on community.

Solutions can only be discovered and implemented with the full and enthusiastic support of the community.

Prince Rupert has become a part of who I am. It would be my honour and heart-felt responsibility to be in service to this place.

Please bring on questions at 250-624-5066 or by e-mail erikarolston08@gmail.com.

John Purdy
Published: October 28, 2008 11:00 PM
Updated: October 29, 2008 12:08 PM

• Work at cleaning up long-term debt.
• Protect our Safety Services.
• Promote local small business and the west coast corridor.
• Schedule budgeted repairs to our failing infrastructure.
• Selling off all non-essential assets at market value to the private sector, (Pillsbury House, vacant lands), could cover part of the incurred costs.

• Investigate privately funded assisted living housing for our aging population, as well as gated type subdivision for seniors with accessible accommodations.

• Work with Harbour Board and Yacht Club to increase pocket cruise and small yacht mooring for increased tourism dollars.

• Encourage First Nations Cuisine and Culture (Dancers, Carvers, Weavers etc.), especially when we have buses and ships in town.

• Promote city beautification – (cities in bloom, removal of degraded buildings etc.)

• Foster more interaction between citizens and council.

I have been a resident of Prince Rupert for 23 years, moving here from Mackenzie when B Mill reopened under Repap.
I worked my way through various operating positions and then on to a position of B Mill Shift Supervisor in 1990.
I held various positions within the company over the years including Superintendent of Yard and Shipping and finally back to Senior Supervisor in A Mill until closure.

I have been with Metlakatla Development Corporation since 2003 as Fuel Services manager. Building this business from the ground up, Grassy Bay Service now employs 10 people and will be expanding within the next couple of months.

Karen, my wife of 28 years, is a true Rupertite. She runs her own successful business, Kaien Printer Essentials. Our oldest Daughter Tiffany Laporte just opened Belak Bambino Outfitters, a children’s clothing store (named after our grandson Kaleb).
It is unfortunate that our son Joel left town during the economic downturn to make a living in Alberta. Our youngest daughter Allison has also recently relocated to Alberta for work and schooling. My mother, Joan Purdy, and mother-in-law, Noreen Lockhart, are around town enjoying their
retirement.

Gabe McLean
Published: October 28, 2008 11:00 PM
Updated: October 29, 2008 12:09 PM

I am Gabriel McLean, call me Gabe.

I am a 32 year concerned resident of Prince Rupert. I am married to Dorothy and have raised my children here. I am employed by the Prince Rupert Airport Authority.

My management skills are from Corporate and Federal Training and Employment over many years. I have been involved with local organizations from Minor Hockey to First Nations Health to Union representative.

To all of those that put their X on the line for me last election: Thank You, lets do it again!!!
I am committed to a green community, fiscal responsibility, infrastructure renewal, and plan to ensure future growth of the community by encouraging any and all investors to look seriously at the city with the highest potential growth in British Columbia.

I will commit to finding efficient ways of improving the community and its services without sacrificing quality of life. Transparent reporting of all public business practises should be genuinely presented for public scrutiny. I will make the city debt a priority to pay.

I will also seek to improve the security of our downtown core. We need to look seriously at how the City Budget has been prioritized.

I believe we must try to restore trust in council by making some changes this election. Single issue councillors and special cause councillors will not successfully be able to be objective and see the big picture. I will do the job with respect for the Local Government Act. I will work only in legally acceptable ways and not work on the fringes of legal or ethical behaviour. I definitely won’t bite the hand that elects me.

I call upon the youth of our community and the First Nations people of our community to get involved in the city’s future, your future. Vote for a candidate that has empathy with you and will hear you and act on your suggestions. A vote for Gabe McLean will go a long way.

This is my community, it has sustained me and given me much, I would like to return in kind.

Patrick Greene
Published: October 28, 2008 11:00 PM
Updated: October 29, 2008 12:10 PM

- Born in Smithers, B. C. November 26, 1942 to Dr. & Mrs. L.M. Greene.

- Raised in Prince Rupert.

- Owned and Operated fishing vessel at the age of 18.

- Fished for the Prince Rupert Co-Op.

- Elected to board of PRFCA. Served as executive and chairman of the board.

- Was appointed as CEO and ran organization for five years.

- PRFCA employed over one thousand people in eight operations generating around $45 million dollars per year. Markets foreign and domestic.

- Served Minister of Fisheries on advisory board.

- Helped negotiate the Pacific Salmon Treaty with the USA.

- Was appointed by Hon. John Fraser as commissioner to Pacific Salmon Commission serving six years.

- Represented fishing industry on T.N.A.C. (Federal and Provincial advisory).

- Sold fishing company

- Elected two terms to Prince Rupert City Council.

- Served on Regional District, health board and various other boards.

- Drafted by local government - Prince Rupert, Port Edward and North Coast Queen Charlotte Islands Regional District - to represent same in the North Coast LRMP.

- Retired.

- Married to wife Barbara with two sons.

- Interests include: Family, community, politics (local to international), hunting, fishing, sports and lots of reading.

We have a serious need for proper accountability, full disclosure and a better understanding of conflict of interest. Open government is a right of the community. I am looking forward to serving our community for a prosperous future.

No comments: