Friday, November 07, 2008

Port Edward race features two familiar faces

While Ed Wampler is gone, his political guidance continues to provide the compass for the district election in Port Edward.

With Wampler's passing a few months ago, the Port Edward mayoralty campaign is featuring a new face to seek out the job of incumbent Dave McDonald.

The Northern View featured sketches of both posted to their website.

Dave MacDonald
Published: November 04, 2008 11:00 PM
Updated: November 05, 2008 3:31 PM

I moved from the East Coast to Port Edward and have lived here for 38 years. I have been married for 37 years to my wife Audrey and have two grown children and one grand child.

I have served on council for the District of Port Edward for four terms, three as councillor and am completing one term as Mayor. I still feel that I have the passion and the commitment and time to keep working hard for the District.

I firmly believe that all Mayors and councillors have worked hard to improve Port Edward and that we will keep moving things forward. The areas we need to focus on include maintaining what we have, such as upgrading our water lines. We are continuing to apply for grants from all levels of government, and if we are not successful then we may have to revisit and find other ways to find the money for water lines.

The most important issue is to work with the School District to keep our school open and show them how important it is to our community. It is very important that our young children remain in Port Edward and not travel on the bus.

We have worked hard to keep Port Edward looking as good as it does with a dedicated staff and crew and will continue to do that. I believe in working together with our community and our surrounding communities to get things done.

My hobbies are camping, the Lions Club and Old Timers Hockey (which I still enjoy).

Other duties I have as Mayor are as follows:

- I am on the Northwest Hospital Board and continue to bring our health issues forward.

- I am also on the local Health Improvement group appointed by the City of Prince Rupert.
I am on the Northern Development RAC committee, which helps support requests to the Northern Trust Board.

- I am on the Port Edward Harbour Authority as a board member.

I thank you all for your support over the years and hope that you give me the same support this time around. Congratulations and good luck to all that have put their names forward for this election.


Christine MacKenzie
Published: November 04, 2008 11:00 PM
Updated: November 05, 2008 3:30 PM

My name is Christine MacKenzie and I am here to be a leader with an “open mind and an open heart”.

My family and I have lived in the Prince Rupert area for 30 years, 15 of which have been in the District of Port Edward. My husband Doug and I have been together for 27 years and we have three children and two grandsons. I am very fortunate to have my family in the North, as family is one of my top priorities.

Volunteer work has also been a large part of my life. I have been involved with the Parent Advisory Committee in both elementary schools as well as the high school. When we first moved to the District of Port Edward I joined the Community Centre group, which had been refurbishing and maintaining the centre. I have also been a canvasser for the Canadian Cancer Society as well as a past member of the Port Edward Lions Club.

I have been on council for the District of Port Edward for the last two terms – six years. I have enjoyed the position and have learned more than I had expected. From being on council I have represented Port Edward on the Skeena Queen Charlotte Regional District as well as numerous other committees such as Success by Six, Community Consultive Group, Trans Canada Yellowhead Highway Association and the Prince Rupert Archives.

One of my goals is to be here to watch our community grow and prosper. With a strong stance in restructuring and upgrading our elementary school, I believe our school is “the heart of the community”. It is not just a school it is also our community’s extra-curricular activity place.

Mayor and council have been working diligently in securing government grants to replace old water lines that would greatly compliment our water treatment facility.

Reaching the goal of new water lines is a great accomplishment I would continue to strive for. At that point the
District would be able to install sidewalks in the community while encouraging small business development to achieve prosperity for the District of Port Edward.

I have enjoyed serving the community of Port Edward for the last six years and, with your support, I have faith that we may continue this journey together.

No comments: