Monday, June 25, 2007

As the neighbours prepare to come on up for a visit

It's summer time (really, it is) and that means that our town will soon find more and more RV and trailer tourists passing through on their way North to Alaska or South back to the lower 48.

Some even plan more than a year in advance for one final trip of a lifetime..

I found this today on the net, a little pre trip blurb from the Tehachapi News a portal down in California. Where Bill Mead says that he will be on the way next summer...

"But like they say, it ain't over till it's over. I plan to make one more run in the Winnie next summer, a memorable one to Fairbanks via the Alaskan Highway."

Besides their plans to head for Alaska, Bill and his travellers have plans to enjoy the "rowdy ferry ride" between Rupert and Port Hardy after having toured the Alaska Highway.

It's a pretty interesting look at expectations of a place that someone hasn't gone before, we wonder if they'll find that their impressions are right or a little off...

Some more interesting quotes from the item:

"and I have minor vision problems that don't bother me when I'm driving a car but which make me uneasy when I'm herding a 32-foot box on wheels through traffic."

But before we close the roads, we are advised that his grandson has been doing a lot of the driving recently. And for this trip alternate plans are in place.

"let me assure you I won't be driving"

The reputation of the ferry system must be a little more party oriented down in the states,

" I have been told the Prince Rupert-to-Port Hardy ferry ride holds several international records for rowdyism"

And it would seem we are better served by the airlines here, than we might think.

"I was pleased to discover good airline connections to Prince Rupert from just about anywhere."

The countdown is on, one year from now we'll check back at the Tehachapi portal to see how the plans are coming along.

No comments: