Thursday, October 23, 2008

We'd like to get to know you (Northern View candidate profiles 1)


The Northern View has been the first of the local media outlets to put together capsules of the candidates for next month's Municipal election campaign.

While a few of the candidates take their message to the masses on their own (Erika Rolston and Anna Ashley have both been using the htmf portal to get the word out and answer questions) many will be relying on the age old method of a few words in the local newspapers to sway the electorate.

The Northern view began the trip down the political lane with campaign outlines from Gina Garon, Tony Briglio, Sheila Gordon-Payne, Anna Ashley, Kathy Bedard and Mario Castelli. We will include further outlines as they come across our Internet connection...

Gina Garon
Northern View Profile
Published: October 21, 2008 11:00 PM

Born and raised in Prince Rupert, the daughter of Ron and Sue Ciccone, I am married to Terry Garon and we have one child . My great grandfather Calderone arrived in 1908 to help clear the town site. My grandfather, Jim Ciccone arrived in 1910 and married my grandmother Vienna.

My grandfather, Merv Martin, was the founding member of the Seniors Center. All of my grandparents were involved in the community, as were many members of my family. Political conversations were front and center during family gatherings, thus my interest in my community and politics. Both my uncle Vernon Ciccone and my late cousin, Jim Ciccone, served terms as Councillors.

I have been a small business owner since 1983, operating a custom drapery and blind store and operating the Blue Heron Gallery. I served three years on the Chamber of Commerce Board and sat as a director on the Heritage Advisory Board. I was involved in the Cow Bay Merchants Association for 12 years. I served as the Chair of the Parking Task Force Committee for the City in 2006-2007. I am an active volunteer at the First Presbyterian Church free Pancake Breakfast.

We are at a critical stage in our development as a world-class port. I bring with me common sense, honesty and integrity. I am a dedicated individual and will bring innovative and creative solutions to council. I will ask the difficult questions and am able to make accountable and informed decisions.

I believe that we have four critical areas to deal with:

Finances:

- what exactly is our debt load? What is the status of CityWest?

Infrastructure:

- We need a five year comprehensive plan. We need to aggressively apply for all grants available from both Provincial and Federal Governments

Social Issues:

- We are at an all time high in regards to unemployment, homelessness and crime.
Economic Development and Tourism

- We need to be open minded and innovative when dealing with new businesses wanting to do business. We need to build a solid relationship with the Port of Prince Rupert.

We need to get back to basics and get our house in order. Time is of the essence. With hard work and dedication I believe that I can help make a difference.

Tony Briglio
The Northern View Profile
Published: October 21, 2008 11:00 PM

Thank you for your support over the past six years. On November 15th, I ask for your support to re-elect me for a third term. I believe I have passionately advocated for you on many fronts and have managed to influence positive changes. I have represented you on the Skeena Queen Charlotte Regional District as Vice Chair as well as as the Chair of the Northwest Regional Hospital District, I was honored that 26 municipal leaders spanning Houston to Haida Gwaii chose me as their Chair for the second consecutive year.

The new Acropolis Manor would not have happened without the unwavering support of our region. Just as I and other directors from Prince Rupert supported the construction of the new Hospital in Masset and a 24-hour nursing station in Houston, so did neighboring directors of the Regional Hospital District. Partnerships work!!

In six years on Council, I pushed for efficiencies in City operations; stretching taxpayers’ dollars, driving down the cost of government and improving working environments for employees. I have and will continue to demand fair treatment and compensation for City workers.

I worked tirelessly to assist the restarting of the pulp mill and when those efforts failed, was equally determined to collect outstanding taxes leading to the recent tax sale. I have and will continue to strongly support projects that create new jobs and taxes, but will challenge developers to maximize community benefits.

As a lifelong resident and first generation Canadian, I know the value of developing a diverse economy - fishing, transportation, tourism, retail and manufacturing. I appreciate the richness of the many cultures of Prince Rupert and have a deep appreciation for the various First Nations.

I have translated concern into action by playing a role in the Port Development, the cruise dock, the college, the gaming centre, the new Acropolis Manor, new housing developments, the handicap taxi and new bleachers. The signing for Prince Rupert Climate Action Accord, on behalf of our Mayor and Council, is a memory I shall treasure.

I am proud of our joint accomplishments, but there is much more to be done...

Sheila Gordon-Payne
The Northern View Profile
Published: October 21, 2008 11:00 PM

I have lived in Prince Rupert for the past 23 years. I am married with four children, one in elementary school, two in high school and one in post secondary school.

Prior to moving to Rupert, I worked as an RN in Ontario, Manitoba, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut. After all my years on the beautiful B.C. coast it seems hard to imagine ever living anywhere else.

I am employed as a Registered Nurse at Prince Rupert Regional Hospital. I have worked in many of the departments. Most recently this has included the Operating Room (OR), Intensive Care/Emergency department and as the Health Care Administrator on a contract basis.

My educational background includes a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and Certification in the specialties of Operative and Critical Care. This year I will finish my Master of Arts in Disability Management through the University of Northern B.C.

At the same time, I am an active member of our community. This has included volunteering with our children’s activities, the cruise ship Ambassador Program and involvement with the Minerva Foundation, a group which supports women’s
leadership.

I have also been fortunate to have had leadership opportunities in roles outside of my employment.This has included being a member of the Board of Governors of UNBC from 2002-2005 where I also had the privilege of chairing the Academic Operations committee; and serving on the Annunciation School Council for eight years ending in 2005, during which I chaired the Finance Committee.

Qualities that I possess include:

- proven leadership ability;
- finance and budget experience
- an ability to mediate and achieve consensus
- knowledge of healthy communities
- excellent communication skills
- enthusiasm, energy and resourcefulness
- proven ability in time and priority management

I like to approach things pro-actively and positively, looking for partnerships and working toward solutions.

I love our community and believe we have a bright future. In 2005 I had the privilege of being elected to City Council. I would like to remain in this role and continue to work toward making our community a more vibrant, prosperous city.

Anna Ashley
The Northern View Profile
Published: October 21, 2008 11:00 PM

I am proud to call Prince Rupert my home, having moved here 18 years ago as a young teacher out of university. I teach English and Social Studies at PRSS High School and have been a very active coach in both Volleyball and
Basketball.

I also come from a family with a small business background where all of the family chipped in to help make ends meet.

Chances are that I have either taught or coached your child or that of someone you know. I have been blessed in having seen many of our youth grow up and mature into fine young adults in our community and can say that we are richer for it. It is one of the reasons that I decided to put my name forward as a candidate for Council because I believe that our community’s worth fighting for and want a better future for all residents.

If elected, I will commit to the following:

- to restore transparency, openness, and accountability to City Hall;

- to promote improvements to our infrastructure such as the street repaving, water and sewer line rebuilds and improvements;

- to improve our recreational facilities so that all of our residents can have the opportunity to play and exercise in safer and more functional facilities;

- to focus on improving the quality of life for our seniors and those that are more reliant on social services in our community;

- to focus on improving our local and regional economy so that we can offer some hope to our people so that they can grow, live, work and retire in Prince
Rupert.

Council seems to have lost its way, choosing to not follow the rules and laws governing its actions and seeming to give greater priority to things like contracts for the privileged few rather than focusing on the greater good of the community. I know that we can do better and with your support on Saturday, November 15th, we can elect a Council that will provide leadership that we can be proud of.

Please feel free to contact me at 250-624-5492.

Kathy Bedard
The Northern View Profile
Published: October 21, 2008 11:00 PM

I am currently serving in my 12th year as City Councillor for the City of Prince Rupert. Professionally, I am the Executive Director for Hecate Strait Employment Development Society, which administers employment-based contracts for both the Province and Canada on the North Coast, which includes Haida Gwaii.

A long-time resident of the region, I have served as a School Trustee/Board Chair for SD #52, I volunteer on various community committees for crime prevention, substance abuse, multiculturalism, and I have assisted many not-for-profits in writing proposals for funding. As a City Councillor, I have provided a strong voice for the social issues locally, provincially and federally.

My vision for the community/region is that we must be prepared for a very bright future! That means enabling people to access the education and training they require to participate fully in the opportunities that will come, to create a business climate which attracts new business and sustains the businesses which have supported the area for the long-term.

I am proud to represent Prince Rupert. I am capable of hard work and I am dedicated to seeing our community and region prosper. I believe that we are closer as a community than we have ever been to enabling better connections with our neighbours in Metlakatla and Port Simpson/Lax Kw’alaams, through a better transportation network to our Airport.

I believe that Prince Rupert will fulfill its destiny as a growing, world class port and will play an important role in the continuing development of the Province of B.C. and Canada and I am hopeful for the community’s support in the upcoming election on November 15th.

Mario Castelli
The Northern View Profile
Published: October 21, 2008 11:00 PM

This is my second time running for a seat on council. I want to again thank the voters for giving me over 1,000 votes last time, and I hope to do better this time.

I will spend the next four weeks sharing my vision for the future. I will not have all of the answers, however, I do have some fresh ideas for our local economy, how to create new jobs, especially green jobs and how to better spend our tax money because we all agree we pay too much in taxes.

With recession looming in the U.S., and tight bank credit, we must be more prudent in how we spend our limited tax money in the next two years.

You can always find me driving a local transit bus. I look forward to hearing your ideas on how we can improve Prince Rupert. Come for a ride and share your ideas for our future with me.

To my supporters who are asking for lawn signs: Last election too many signs were destroyed and, despite volunteers’ best efforts, material from the signs did en up in our environment. We will try to make four signs using plywood so we can re-use the wood.

Remember:

Go green, take the bus.

No comments: