Friday, October 24, 2008

Pages from the newsroom editing floor


The recent article on homelessness by George T. Baker of the Daily News, provided an interesting view of the frequently forgotten or swept under the rug situation that seems to be getting worse around the city as the economy continues to struggle.

In his article, Baker interviewed a number of those involved with the local situation in a number of capacities.

Among them was long time Prince Rupert street worker, Myles Moreau who has been a fixture on our streets, back alleys and flop houses (paid or not) for a number of years.

From his vantage point on the front lines of the homelessness issue, he has observed many of the causes and the indifference of the issue at times, that has led to what some consider to be almost a crisis situation in the city.

Moreau felt that Mr. Baker left a few of his observations out of the article and in order to set the record straight and provide much more in the way of background towards the issue he provided a letter to the editor contribution in Wednesday’s paper.

It provides for an interesting perspective on the issue, giving us the benefit of his twenty plus years of on the street inter-action and frustrations with a system that is in dire need of overhauling.

Letter to the Editor
Prince Rupert Daily News
Wednesday, October 4, 2008
Page 4

Many trying to ease problems
To the editor,

Please allow me to further this bit on homelessness in Rupert and throughout Canada.

I appreciate the piece which George T. Baker did and the fact that he chose to interview me on the subject.

I noticed a few tings about the story and story line, as well as many things which he seems to have missed. I believe that he omitted to mention the hard work which the Transition House Ladies have been doing regards to this serious issue and the fact that they are the ones who hired a very hard working man by the name of Alex Weir.

Alex has been putting much work into this and trying to bring the proper people together in an effort to address this. Yes, I have been involved with much of this since 1989 and I have seen much of the players come and go in the region. I remember in 89 when I tried to bring this to light with the then existing city council and I was trying to make the city aware that youth were sleeping down in Box cars, till one morning the CN people were trying to remove a few box cars and these youth began to jump out. So even in those days the city council did not take this subject very seriously as we are seeing from our present council in question.

I must say that council person Joy Thorkelson has taken the time to ask the proper questions of me and others.

While reading this article it has mentioned numbers and case loads, there are numbers being thrown around of how many homeless individuals there are. I did not say 100 or 180 but I did caution Mr. Baker that four or five are still too many for a town this size.

I see that the captain from the Salvation Army is mentioned as well but I do not see much mention of the work done by individuals who serve the needy ones the gentleman who sits and tries to meet their requests for rooms and a meal, the soup kitchen and the people who serve up the portions.

There is also the food bank which tries to provide some food for the table.

So much of these things which come from the kind people and businesses of Prince Rupert.

I noticed that FASD is mentioned a few times during the story, I mentioned in my interview to Mr. Baker that many and just about all people who find themselves in this kind of situation on the streets end up dealing with some form of mental illness. It may be some form of depressive state, paranoia or suicidal, so now we must look at the services available.

We do have the ministries in our community but on one seems to want to work in conjunction with each other. The ministries are responsible for all that is connected to homelessness.

There is an old saying which I have heard well there are many that I have heard in my days but this one sticks out, In a First Nation village or community a First Nation person will not go hungry nor be cold because there will always be doors open to them.

So why do we have so much money being poured into ministries and the system but we fail to see the work or workers out there trying to meet the needs?

I have been called a loose cannon by certain individuals in this community because I have always tried to have issues addressed for the last 20-odd years and I shall continue with the grace of God.

But I say it this way, we must not allow this to continue we must meet the needs, the ministry workers and management must work together and address these issues as well as all the three levels of government.

It is not a place for the churches. Their work is in helping us gain faith and live by the word.

Yes, we must stop the ones who are and will continue to scam the systems but we must try to save a few they are getting younger but also in need.

I thank Mr. Baker for taking the time in doing this article and I appreciate the fact that I have this right in getting more out and if anyone wishes to continue this conversation please feel free to stop me on the street or call me.

I do not receive any form of pay so my time is your time.

Myles Moreau

No comments: