Saturday, March 20, 2004

Road Tunes for Alfonso

If Alfonso Gagliano pulls up beside you on the road you can bet his car stereo is pounding out some Shaggy! Ah, I can see him now, Alfonso bobbing his head back and forth singing along “It wasn’t me, didn’t take no money”, “It wasn’t me, there wasn’t anything funny”, “It wasn’t me, cause I would have known better”, “It wasn’t me, cause I wrote a letter”

Gagliano was on the hot seat for the second day in a row as the Commons Committee Truth Squad, went to work trying to figure out just who knew what, about the sponsorship mess of the 1990’s. Hoping against hope, that somebody will say that they tried to do something about it.

The heated exchanges got quite personal at times, the most vitriolic of them when Conservative MP Sean Murphy said “the more innocent you are, as is coming out in testimony, the more incompetent you appear.”

Gagliano took other barbs as well, accusing him of playing the committee for fools; he was treated to sarcastic laughter, rolling of eyes and groans of disbelief as he continued on his path of denial. Gagliano claimed that he had no knowledge, of the irregularities of Public Works. Painting himself as the victim of some kind of witch hunt, Gagliano said he didn’t’ expect anyone here to believe him. Which must have come as relief to the crew investigating; showing no signs of taking his denials as gospel?

And with that another day of testimony came to an end. Alfonso no doubt hopping back into the car and popping a new CD into the stereo. Can’t you hear it now, Peter Gabriel’s playing loud and proud. “I don’t remember, I can’t recall, I have no memory of anything at all”

The above posting is taken from my Boondoggle blogsite, for more government related postings and links check it out.

No comments: