Saturday, September 25, 2010

The storm that shifted south

Considering what was supposed to arrive and what we've actually had for weather for the last 48 hours, Prince Rupert it seems has dodged a bit of a weather bullet.

For most of Friday and today, we were supposed to be receiving some rather nasty weather, wind gusts were projected to be over the 100k mark during the storm and torrential rains were supposed to fall for the bulk of the weekend.

And while the wind was gusty at times and we've had a few periods of heavy rain through the last forty eight hours, besides a bit of damage to the local court house trees we've fared much better compared to residents on Haida Gwaii and further south on Vancouver Island .

A stretch of Highway 16 on Haida Gwaii was closed as the storm made its way across the islands before moving southwards, where the bulk of the damage occurred.

Port Hardy has declared a state of emergency after a fast moving weather system brought heavy winds and torrential rain, washing out roads, isolating First Nation's communities and causing a landslide which has also isolated the Port Alice pulp mill from the main highway.

The RCMP issued to separate notices on Saturday outlining some of the troubles at hand on the North Island one for Port Hardy and one for Port Alice.

The weather system working its way south also played havoc with BC Ferries service both to Haida Gwaii and Port Hardy, BC ferries has posted service notices advising that things won't be fully back on track until  Monday.

Below find some links to a number of items about the storm that passed us by.

CBC-- Vancouver Island pummelled by storm
CBC-- First fall storm wallops West Coast 
Globe and Mail-- Floods provoke state of emergency in Port Hardy, B.C. 
Vancouver Province-- North Vancouver Island hit by heavy rain, winds, major mudslide 
Vancouver Sun-- State of emergency declared as Vancouver Island hit by heavy rains, two mud slides Mud slide, flooding rock Vancouver Island communities

 Update Sept 26-- State of emergency lifted after north Vancouver Island hit with slides, flooding

No comments: