Friday, August 21, 2009

Podunk Below the Masthead, Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Two charges laid in weekend stabbings, a Rupertite joins in the Ali Howard swim and Environmentalists contemplate their participation level in the Enbridge debate, some of the items of note for Wednesday, August 12.

DAILY NEWS Headline Story, Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Charges have finally been laid, after confessions were provided to the RCMP regarding a downtown stabbing incident over the weekend (see story here)

As Ali Howard neared the end of her Skeena River swim, a local swimmer took part in a portion of her remarkable journey (see story here)

With the Canada Environmental Assessment Agency providing some funding for those seeking to provide input into the Enbridge Northern Gateway energy project, some environmental groups are wondering and worrying that they accept the funding, they will be providing a sense of legitimization to what consider a flawed process. (see story here)

The Sports section featured some results from the Skeena Valley Cruzers Club activities over the weekend.

Front page, headline story:

Two charges have been laid, son has confessed
By George T. Baker

The Prince Rupert Daily News
Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Page one

According to Cpl Mike Traas of the Prince Rupert RCMP, the son charged with the murder of his father and the attempted murder of his uncle has confessed to both charges.

Edward Dundas, 20, was charged Monday evening with the murder of his father, Randy Dundas 50, after being charged with the attempted murder of his uncle, Irving Reece, 51.

Traas said that formal charges had been laid, but Dundas was not expected to plead guilty to a judge yesterday in court because the accused would need time to find a defense lawyer to represent him.

Dundas was represented Monday by duty counsel, Hollis Lucky.

"There hasn't been any pleading guilty. He is going to court today and then they will probably put it off for two weeks to a month in order to allow him the time to find counsel," said Traas.

The wife of the man who is currently in stable condition spoke to the Daily News on Tuesday and said that she is a lucky woman that her husband has survived.

"I feel more at ease today than I did yesterday, " said Mary Reece, 41.

Reece said that she and her husband had only recently moved to Prince Rupert from Hartley Bay last month, looking for more work opportunities and hopefully a better life closer to family.

While the original plan was for Mary to stay in Prince Rupert while Irving tended to things back in Hartley Bay, Irving changed his mind upon a visit to Prince Rupert on July 15.

"I asked him when he was going back and he said to me there was nothing to go home to," said Reece.

Reece eventually found a job at a local department store and things were looking up for the Reeces.

The last thing she expected was her brother Randy and her husband to be the victims of an attack by her nephew, who lived with Randy at their residence on the 800 block of Second Avenue West.

"Ed lived with his Dad and there had been problems a couple of nights before," said Reece.

Reece said that Edward Dundas had shown up on Sunday at Prince Rupert Regional Hospital with a letter of apology confessing that he had been guilty of the crime, but Dundas was not found until Monday morning in front of the Prince Rupert Library.

Reece said that she hopes one day that the family can move forward, though she knows it won't be easy and it will be a long, hard road.

"I'm sorry for the loss of Randy. Edward is my nephew and I hope his family understands his confession in time," expressed Reece.

The next court hearing is scheduled for Monday, September 14.

Correction notice

The Daily News would like to make the following corrections with regards to the article Two Charges Laid:

Randy Dundas was not the brother of Mary Reece but her uncle, and the letter of apology was not handed
to Reece on the Sunday following the attack, but through the RCMP on the following Tuesday.

Our apologies for any confusion.

No comments: