Thursday, November 10, 2005

The Poppy

Some of us wear them in remembrance of the lives that were lost in war. It's a simple tribute to those that gave of their lives, not meant to glorify war but to recognize the ultimate sacrifice made on our behalf.

Some choose not to wear a poppy, personal conviction won't allow them to display something they perceive as so closely aligned with war. A noble sentiment, but I believe a tad misguided.

The poppy is not, in my mind anyways, a glorification of battle nor a tribute to warfare. Instead, it's a true faith compact with those that have given of their lives. We vow never to forget their sacrifice, never to waver in our comittment to their memories. We wear a poppy for all those casualties whether they be military or civillian, a true remembrance of the horror of war.

I'll beg to differ with Mr. McLeod. I wear my poppy, to keep that comittment with those that have fallen. I wear my poppy, to honour their memory and to never forget the reason for this day of commemoration.

I wear my poppy!

No comments: