Saturday, January 29, 2005

A little blog surfing is a good thing

Spent a bit of time tonight checking out a few of the sites I've bookmarked over the last six months or so. Learned tonight that our friend Sean at seanincognito could benefit from the safe knife handling course that the Cub pack which my son is in recently held (we can arrange a correspondence course Sean if you wish).

The Daily KOS kept me up to speed on developments in the States and what the upcoming Iraqi election may bring. The blog always provides an interesting snapshot as to what is on the mind of Americans.

Pangs of envy washed over me when I checked out the All things Canadian blogsite, they've left for Florida, no plans to come back til sometime in February. Sunshine? Man what is that?

The BlogsCanada E group provided a nugget of info I wasn't aware of, Bob McKeown of the Fifth estate met up with Fox News' Ann Coulter and apparently bested the young lass from Fox. Ms. Coulter wondered aloud why, if Canada sent troops to Vietnam to help the USA, they did not do so in the current Iraq situation. McKeown advised her that Canadians were not in Vietnam with the US, which Coulter stated was wrong. We of course were not involved in that war, though there were many Canadians who did cross the line and join the US military, and for a time we did spend some time in a peacekeeping role there. Of course at times factual research seems to be the lowest on the checklist at Fox News. It tends to get in the way of the boosterism that runs rampant there.

And finally I also traveled over to Bound by Gravity, where Andrew provided a link to a wonderful archive of photo's from the First World War, courtesy of firstworldwar.com the pictures set the scene for the war to end all wars (sadly over the years we have failed those valiant men in that declaration) . The site provides a terrific overview of one of the definitive eras of our times.

A few clicks and you find a gem, it's a wonder of our times this little hobby of ours. Every once and a while I get weary of the grind of churning out my own material, but when I do I check out sites like Sean's or Andrew's and before I know it, I've found something interesting or valuable to check out.

Could be a lot worse ways to spend a few hours I suspect!

No comments: