Monday, June 28, 2004

Didn't feel a thing!

For the umpteenth since I’ve lived in Podunk we’ve been hit by an earthquake and I’ve not noticed. What’s the use of living on a fault line if you aren’t ever awake to notice the shakin’? The latest jerking of the fault line took place off the coast of Podunk at 2:50 am, we seem to suffer our temblors during the night here for some reason and thus I’m never privy to the shaking and rattling.

There was no damage reported and for the most part our little corner of the planet went on with life in blissful snoring, at 6.7 it would have been a much more life altering event had it hit further eastward and under Podunk proper, but only fishies and whales would have been inconvenienced to any great degree.

Locally (I’m told) dishes rattled, furniture jumped and some pictures re-arranged themselves but no visible or traumatic damage resulted from the midnight rambler. Interestingly enough we had been having occasional power bumps all day Sunday, but I’m sure it’s just a bit of happenstance and not some form of early warning system that I should be more aware of.

Podunkians will now go back to waiting for the next event and as we’re always aware, the “Big One” could come at any time. One wonders if I’ll be awake for that day or if I’ll sleep through that one too, sometimes slumber can serve its purpose. We can’t fear what we don’t know happened!

No comments: