Saturday, April 01, 2006

So, whatcha done for us lately!


As Ralph Klein faces his final Rubicon in Alberta, a graceful exit seems less and less likely now. Perhaps having overstayed a welcome (like a former PM or two we might remember) Klein found himself facing the cold, harsh reality of life, his former acolytes, apostles and ass kissers apparently no longer want him around to lead the boom in Alberta.

With only a 55% vote of confidence Ralph is left to ponder is his options and perhaps pack a parachute or two, while his fellow Conservatives now begin jockeying for the title of Sultan of Albertia.

Friday night’s leadership review dealt a crushing blow to the man who presided over possibly the most expansive and financially rewarding period of Alberta history. But having not exited stage right when given the cue, nor moving fast enough on his exit strategy, it seems his followers have decided to turn on him and shove him through that open door. Thus preparing a race for the leadership that will make the Calgary Stampede chuck wagon races look positively sane and cautious by comparison.

With petro dollars bouncing before their eyes, some of his former colleagues are openly lusting for their shot at the riches, if only doddering King Ralph would get out of the way. And if Ralph won’t get out of the way, then they’ll just have to take things into their own hands. God help the man or woman that gets in the way of the pack as they snap and bite their way to the front of the line.

So while Ralph considers his options and ponders his future, we’ll provide a little theme music for the grand occasion. Maestro please, some thinking music for the rabble at large! Somehow the song just fits the Klein era to a T!

And now, the end is near;And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, I’ll say it clear,I’ll state my case, of which I’m certain.
I’ve lived a life that’s full.I’ve traveled each and ev’ry highway;
And more, much more than this,I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to doAnd saw it through without exemption.
I planned each charted course;Each careful step along the byway,
But more, much more than this,I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I’m sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall;And did it my way.

I’ve loved, I’ve laughed and cried.
I’ve had my fill; my share of losing.
And now, as tears subside,I find it all so amusing.
To think I did all that;And may I say - not in a shy way,
No, oh no not me,I did it my way.

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels;
And not the words of one who kneels.

The record shows I took the blows -And did it my way!

No comments: